Preformed metal crowns in the primary dentition: a comparative study between 2 cohorts of current practices’ (Dental students & Dental Hygiene/therapy students)

Flack, Casey (2013) Preformed metal crowns in the primary dentition: a comparative study between 2 cohorts of current practices’ (Dental students & Dental Hygiene/therapy students). BSc dissertation, University of Portsmouth.

[img] PDF
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (1214kB)

    Abstract

    Aims: This is a comparative cohort study accessing the current practices’ for both Dental students (DS) and Dental Hygiene/Therapist students (DHTS) studying at University Portsmouth Dental Academy (UPDA) on Preformed Metal Crowns (PMCs) in the primary dentition. The study’s purpose is to assess if students are gaining adequate experience in PMC placement to feel ready for General Practice (GP) and if not what they feel could improve this.

    Methods: A full cohort of 80 DS from Kings College London (KCL) and 21 DHTS from UPDA were invited to participate. Both cohorts were in their final year (Year 5 for DS and Year 3 for DHTS) and were attending UPDA in the academic year of 2012/13. An electronic questionnaire was set according to the study’s aim which was initially sampled to 10% of each cohort (8 DS and 2 DHTS) in a pilot study. Following feedback from the pilot study the questionnaire was then sent to the remaining 90% of each cohort electronically via e-mail.

    Results: A total of 19 DHTS (100% response rate) and 52 DS (72% response rate) responded to the questionnaire. The results showed that PMCS had not been carried out by the majority of students; DHTS felt a lack of referrals from DS was a consequence of this and DS thought this was largely down to PMCs being challenging to place. The undergraduates perceive more paediatric exposure on clinic, hands on training and more tutor encouragement on when to place a PMC, as the best way to enhance their use. The majority of DHTS preferred the Hall Technique (HT) (89%) but the preference between the HT and the conventional was split between the DS cohort. The DHTS rated their confidence levels in PMC placement higher then DS. Only 29% DS and 63% DHTS said they feel confident in PMCs for GP. The majority of students marked their training as ok or good but 29% of DS said training was poor or very poor. 63% of DS would like a Community Placement (CP) opportunity within their degree programme to enhance the use of PMCs but in contrast 63% of DHTS who already have a CP programme in place said placement had not increased their confidence in PMC placement.

    Discussions: The current undergraduate programmes are not preparing students for GP. More hands on training, quotas and the need for tutors who specialises’ in paediatrics could help increase PMCs use and prepare students more for GP. Clearer guidelines could help guide students to ensure PMCs are used when appropriate to provide the patient with gold standard treatment.

    Conclusion: This study has provided a snapshot of the current practice’ of PMC placement between two cohorts at undergraduate level studying in 2012/13. Its findings shows that PMCs are not being carried out by the vast majority of students and there is a difference in training and confidence levels between the DS and DHTS. It highlights some of the reasons why PMCs make up a small amount of clinical experience and portrays some of the potential ways that students feel would enhance their experience in PMCs including CP opportunities and more hands on training. Its findings could help suggest ways at which the universities could improve their curriculum at local levels but cannot be generalised for other dental schools.

    Item Type: Dissertation
    Departments/Research Groups: Faculty of Science > Portsmouth Dental Academy
    Depositing User: Jane Polwin
    Date Deposited: 22 Oct 2013 16:23
    Last Modified: 28 Jan 2015 12:30
    URI: http://eprints.port.ac.uk/id/eprint/13682

    Actions (login required)

    View Item

    Document Downloads

    More statistics for this item...